Sunday, August 23, 2009

My guesthouse in Gambia

The process for finding this chill spot wasn't completely easy. Our first stop was actually at a distant cousins of Idiboy's. It seemed like a nice place and Idiboy was saying we may even be able to stay for free if we made a good impression on his cousin. So there I was just having arrived, took my first shower in 3 days in a makeshift shower outside the home. The home was locked so we could only get inside this small little guest unit that was just outside. I took a quick shower and threw on some boxers, I think I was still waiting for a towel before I would put on the rest of my clothes. I had not ate in a long time, and Idiboy had picked up some food at a stop along the way. So I sat down in the driveway in just my boxers eating the food (their was a gate so I wasn't in plain site of cars passing by, but still I felt somewhat uncomfortable awaiting my clothes). Just then his cousin came in, I was still just in my boxers, and having to explain myself, who I was, shake his hand, all while soaking wet in nothing but underwear. Probably didn't make the best impression. He did go ahead and move out all his things from his room so that I could use his room. But the funny thing was his room was all American style, Eminem, Britney Spears posters, all American music like Usher or Kanye West at the stereo system. In the room I really felt like I was not in Africa at all, like I was in America. Which it was kind of a bummer to travel so far and feel like you never left. After a day or two there, Idiboy and I agreed it wasn't our style, and his cousin was going to charge us quite a bit of money anyway... so we looked for a spot that was more our style and came up with this one.



Video of my guesthouse in the Gambia. All the essentials are there, nice shower, toilet (which is not always available, some places you have to take bath with buckets of water or use restroom that's just whole in the ground).
















Also I have nice view outside of palmtree's...
















View of the outer exterior...















Some kids came to do a show inside the property, some traditional drumming...















...the outside of my guesthouse...















This is the owner Sidi...















Sidi also stayed on the property and lived right here...















A kitchen in my guesthouse...















pic of my bedroom...















...and even living room area.















...Small rooms though, but everything I needed was there. Sometimes the owner of the guesthouse had to go refill the water from uptop they had this watertower supplying the 4 guesthouses.

No comments:

Post a Comment